Black Lives Matter Cross Stitch Pattern
I made this free cross stitch pattern to help keep your hands busy while you educate yourself about racism and the Black Lives Matter movement.
I designed and stitched this up while watching/listening to the following excellent programs:
- 13th - Netflix/YouTube - An examination of the US prison system which looks at how the country's history of racial inequality drives the high rate of incarceration in America. You can watch this for free on Netflix's YouTube channel just now.
- Angela Davis in Conversation - YouTube - Legendary African-American activist Angela Davis talks to Southbank Centre’s Artistic Director Jude Kelly CBE about women, race and class in the post-Trump era at the Southbank Centre in 2017. The event starts at about 20 minutes into the recording.
- Explained: The Racial Wealth Gap - Netflix/YouTube - An episode of the Explained series explaining the racial wealth gap in the US and its relation to slavery, housing discrimination and racial inequalities.
- Black and Scottish - BBC iPlayer - Stewart Kyasimire gathers together prominent Black Scots from all generations to ask: what does it mean to be Black and Scottish?
- When They See Us - Netflix - A 4 part series based on true events in 1989 New York which explores the lives of 5 black teenagers accused of sexually assaulting a white woman.
The cross stitch pattern is free, but please consider signing petitions and donating what you can to one or more of the causes listed in our blog post Black Lives Matter - Petitions and Fundraisers.
Thread colours are a suggestion only, feel free to switch them up if you'd like to!
Check out our blog post for more details about how to start stitching and our Etsy Shop if you're looking for more patterns.